- Set and achieve big audacious goals.
- Get motivated by inspiring journeys.
Hi, my name is Tal Gur, and I am on this rock to pursue and live my biggest dreams while inspiring others to do the same.
Below-Zero to Hero has been primarily crafted in the purpose of encouraging others to live their dreams, through the sharing of other people’s experiences, and in the relentless pursuit of my own, personal life goals.
My story is being written from many perspectives and enriched by the people and places I encounter along the way. I am originally from Israel, though I feel at home in many places. In 1996, aged 21, I embarked on a long motorcycle trip in Australia & immediately fell in love with this remote, vast and spectacular corner of the world. Years later I came back, to complete my Masters degree and adopted Australia as a second home.
In 2009, after six blissful years in Australia, I packed a small backpack and left on a 3+ years ‘Round-The-World trip. It was during this trip that I met my wife, Kyle, who, like me, is an avid traveler. I’m now adopting the U.S. as my new and third home.
In my very first memories, I was always intrigued with the endless possibilities of self-expression. I see life as a playground, upon which we express our deepest desires, within the perceived and ceaselessly challenged limits of the physical world.
Looking at my life, I have come to realize it as not just one linear, continuous journey, but rather a recollection of numerous and various journeys and experiences. I’ve learnt that it is definitely not all about the destination – more about the journeys themselves. And the greater the challenge, the more satisfying it is to experience and, ultimately, overcome.
Since moving to Australia, inspired by the sheer enjoyment of pursuing my Australian dream, I found myself constantly seeking new challenges, overextending myself in all aspects of life, and ultimately resulting in intensely joyful, fulfilling journeys.
Here are a few:
1. I created financial freedom after being in $34,000 of debt
2. I completed an Ironman Triathlon in New Zealand after quitting smoking.
3. I quit my 9-to-5 desk job and went on an independent 18 months round-the-world trip.
4. I coordinated building a new home for a family who lost everything in a mudslide in Peru.
5. I tried a little 10 days Vipassana meditation in India.
6. I met my wife to be while traveling in Bolivia.
7. I partied for 60 nights in a row while living in Australia.
8. I collected donations and helped building a school for a poor village in Dominican Republic.
9. I surfed around the world in places such as Australia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Peru, and Sri Lanka.
10. I learnd how to become a Muay Thai fighter by kickboxing for four weeks in Thailand.
11. I completed a 12,000 km journey around Australia cutting through the outback.
12. I volunteered in an international Autism treatment center for 7 weeks
13. I traveled by train and backpacked across Europe for cheap
14. I rode a motorcycle through the Swiss Alps
15. I stayed in a big old villa in Tuscany, Italy.
16. I trekked the highest mountains on earth and reached Mt. Everest Base Camp in Nepal.
17. I moved to Australia to complete my Masters degree and ended up spending more than five amazing years in the country.
18. I built a company from scratch and served as a director of an international company
19. I celebrated Rio’s Carnival and New Year’s eve with 2 million spectators in Copacabana beach
20. I spent a summer in Argentina and learned Spanish in Buenos Aires
Reading through this list can falsely lead you to believe that my life was all rosy. Trust me, I had my share of struggles as well. If I were to make a list of all my disappointments, I’d never get to the end
The message I want to leave with you today is this:
We have an incredible chance here on this planet, to create beautiful things, a real opportunity to live life to its fullest, in a world full of potential and wonder. But we can only accomplish this if we push ourselves far beyond our comfort zones, face our greatest fears, and take the risks involved in pursuing that which we truly want.
And whether it’s the achievement of financial freedom we seek, the running of a marathon, travelling the world, or becoming a parent – whichever paths we may choose, we need to make sure that we visit the depths of our hearts, before we take off on our glorious journey.
Go ahead. Design your dream year and turn it into reality.
I’ve recently found your website through Perfecting Parenthood and I figured I’d check it out. I have since read your e-book (it’s fantastic!!!) and your other articles. You ask great questions and you write in a thoughtful, beautiful and moving way. Regina Grinberg
I am all inspired by your work, book, website. Wow, I am so glad I found you on internet. I have started working and also monitoring my goals once a week.. Pushpakar
Thank you for your sincere, motivational and encouraging emails/posts. Rudolph
Thanks for having this blog! I only discovered it very recently (as in about one week ago) but I spend already hours on it reading your articles and following your links. And I love it. In fact when I think about it, there is always one of your pages open in my browser. Pieter Haers
What an inspiration you are and a great writer! Your site has great “human-ness” and reflects what many of us go through so intimately that it feels lonely. Thank you for sharing. Sophie Tseung
I was sitting down really stuck as to how to create my life goals and 101 things i wanted to do in my life. and i googled it. your webiste came up and i read through your list of goals. its just so inspiring!!! i have been referring to it a lot in trying to formulate my goals… just wanted to say you are really inspiring and thank you for sharing all this. Bhavisha
Wow, I’m so proud of you and I have a feeling deeply that may be I can do same with my life too..your story and others story really inspiring, I downloaded your book, started my planning, still more to go to complete..Naraa
“You are a great support to begin with.. I have made several attempts to take my dreams off the ground and I hope some day soon it will be a reality with strong support like you.”Subhash
“Thank you for the free e-book and for the website. I found it on one of my “low days” when all I want is to give up and complain a bit more. And it surely saved me a bit.” Mateusz
“I just consider myself very luck to come across your blog. Your website inspired me. I am not sure how to start and where to begin but I will get there. Thank you so much.” Hiyan
“One night, being so frustrated, I encountered your site and…I was delighted! You inspire me so much… our messages will help me through my path. May all the joy and happiness be with you.” Paria, Iran
“I love reading your emails!” Andrea
Live out your dreams!